Minutes 29 Feb 2016

 

Jacobs Wells Community Hub – Hub Meeting

Monday 29th February 2016

St Peter’s House (Jacobs Wells Road) BS8 1DX

(19.15-21.00)

 

Present:        Audrey, Charles Lucas, Chris Millman, Heather, Jacqui, Jenny, Jerome Thomas, John, Judy, Mateusz, Paul Turner, Sally.

Welcome and Introductions: Sally welcomed both Mateusz and Jacqui who have specific expertise and are part of the Hub’s finance team withJudy.

Several candidates for local elections and two Mayoral Candidates were present at our meeting.  We very much appreciate the support that politicians are giving us at present.

 

Events

Pop-Up Community Centre:

 

At  Open Space, St George’s Road (under Triodos Bank – Deanery Road). www.openspace.co.uk  This exciting event will be on  Friday 15th April 2016 (10.00-16.00).

.

Great chance to share our aims with wider public to gather support and for voices to be heard.

  • Day includes:

Baby and Toddler Zone ,Tea & Coffee Chill Out Zone all day, Bring & Share Lunch

Bring &  Swop Shop ,Bring & Share Ideas (using U.Ks largest Magnetic White Board)

Bring & Share Chat,  Bring & Share a song / music / card trick / joke

Bring & Share yourself + friend or two

Special guests: Karen Ferris leading introductory Tai Chi Session 2.15-3.15. All welcome

Firebird Theatre Company, Firebird-theatre.com  3.20-3.30

Launch of Craft Hub Project. + other surprises !

The day is free . Donations welcomed to cover costs. Full details will be on Hub  facebook page / website /Twitter.  Feel free to email or Text- Call 07804 649152 ( with any questions or if you can help us on the day.)

 

 

 

Annual General Meeting:

 

Our Annual General Meeting will take place at Salt Café  www.saltcafebristol.co.uk

120 st Georges rd BS1 5UJ

 

Sunday 17th April 2016 (15.00-18.00).

 

Looking back at what has been achieved April 2015-April 2016 + Next Steps

 

  • Nominations for the Steering Group – contact heather4jwrhub@gmail.com to nominate yourself or a friend for a position on the Steering Group. Friday 31st March 2016 deadline – that is two weeks before the meeting.
  • Contact Judy, Heather, or Sally to find out more about our roles.(Chair, Vice Chair, membership Secretary, Treasurer, Secretary).
  • We want to make this enjoyable event ! bring tasty treats to share like last year (at Holy Trinity).

Featuring slide show -Story Board  “The JWC Hub story so far..”  created by neighbour Jed Stone www.tunamoon.co.uk

 

Dance Centre:

 

We need four more people to enable us to nominate the Jacobs Baths/ Dance Centre as a Community Asset, This will give a breathing space so that the local community have a chance to contribute to any proposals for future of this iconic (listed) building .

You just need to be registered to vote in Bristol. No legal obligations attached. Email us back .

 

  • Jerome Thomas (Green Councillor) presented details of his Feasibility Study.

(Some of you have seen this, but if not let us know and we will email it on.)

  • He is in communication with the current Mayor about time scales for consultation.
  • http://tinyurl.com/hvxyuoe see petition from Dance Centre

Campaign: #Pavilion Urban Village Hall

 

  • There is a current epetition for the Harbourside Pavilion. Please Sign !
  • http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/view/pavillion
  • We want this room to be available for the local community at low cost rates.
  • We want flexible / priority booking for the community.
  • We need 2500 votes to ask the council to debate the issue.

 

 

  • Thangam Debbonaire (our Labour MP) – photo opportunity. Thursday March 3rd00pm outside Pavilion. Join us to show solidarity / support. (WHO ELSE ! Green party / Conservatives, UKIP… maybe we should just say local community BE THERE .)
  • Pop-ups have given us our best feedback. We want to do one on Cathedral Walk (Harbourside).  Action Heather.

Current Situation – Brandon House:

  • The Meeting Room in Brandon House should be available by May 2016.
  • The housing department have been in contact with residents by email.
  • The Neighbourhood Partnership Team has been very supportive.

Current Situation – St Peter’s House:

  • We very much appreciate having the use of St Peter’s House Meeting Room.
  • Sally stressed that it is difficult without a permanent base to work from (including admin / office space)

Current regular events:

  • Coffee Mornings at Salt Café – Fridays (11.00-12.00)
  • Un Petite Café also at Salt Café on Fridays (10.00-11.00) –11th March and 25th
  • Singing on Brandon Hill – fortnightly – next one Saturday 5th March 2016 (11.00-12.00).
  • Tai Chi – St Peter’s House – (14.15-15.15) Thursdays – 3rd March, 17th March, 31st

Finance:

We introduced our Finance Team.  Sally thanked Judy for all the work she has done in her three roles; Vice Chair, Acting Treasurer and Membership Secretary.

 

  • Judy presented our Cumulative and Actuals Budget.
  • We have £700 left from our two grants.
  • The exterior noticeboards have been purchased.

Fundraising – Grants and Awards:

  • We have put in for a Bristol Aging Better The payments will be made directly to facilitators such as Karen Ferris (Tai Chi).
  • We have also applied for an Airbus Community Award. We ask the community to vote for us using the forms in the Bristol Post.  Voting forms are printed every day.  Our voting code is   Higher value voting forms are printed at least once a week.  We are collecting voting forms at Salt Café on Friday mornings to save on postage.

Fundraising – small scale fundraising:

  • We are not achieving the target of £30 per month from donations.
  • We need suggestions for achievable fundraising ideas
  • Could we get a group to walk the Bristol Marathon – my late idea. Heather.
  • Judy will run a raffle to cover the cost of hiring the Salt Café for the AGM.
  • John suggested a minimum donation of £1 for events. In practice this is a sliding scale with no upper limit.  To make events affordable and inclusive we do not expect everybody to give a donation.
  • There is a theory “If you charge nothing, you expect nothing in return”.

Jacobs Wells Craft Hub Project:

 

Sally welcomed Jenny Ford : Clifton-hill.co.uk. Jenny runs the amazing vintage shop next to the Eldon pub and is already known to many of us.  The Craft Hub has the potential for being a long term project.

Jenny is preparing her work space to help offer Craft Workshops (including better accessibility).  There will be a month sale to move some of her stock.

We have applied to Kick Start, Funding Opportunity from Bristol Aging Better to help make this project flourish. More info to follow.

 

Any Other Business:

  • Possibility of upgrading decoration and facilities in meeting room.

    Action: Sally to contact Brett Maule from BCC.

        Next Steering Group Meeting – 18th March 2016

Pop-up Community Centre – 15th April 2016

Annual General Meeting – 17th April 2016

 

                                       2.3.2.2016

One thought on “Minutes 29 Feb 2016

  1. Those are yours alright! . We at least need to get these people stealing images to start blogging! They probably just did a image search and grabbed them. They look good though!

Comments are closed.