Date: 2nd November 2015
Present: Sally, Heather, Judy, Francis, Mary, Jenny.
Apologies: Dennis Gornall, Anna Wilson, Joanna Espiner, Kay Barnard, Trevor Blythe, Fergus Arkley,
John Parke, Omega, Mark Wright, Charles Lucas. Jacobs Wells Community Hub
Hub Meeting: number 7
Venue: St Peter’s House
Welcome and Introductions
- We welcomed Mary who is new to the group, Jenny who is planning some craft workshops in the area, and Francis who lives in St Peter’s House.
- Jenny told us about her plans for a Sewing Evening at the Salt Café (St George’s Road), and that she is hoping to become a Community Interest Company which will provide scope for her to develop her own shop so that she can run workshops from there.
Minutes of the Last meeting
- The minutes of the last meeting have been circulated and corrected prior to the meeting.
- George (the Mayor’s) Letter – Merchant Venturers – funding Linkage in our area.
- We can attend Council Meetings to present our needs.
- Ify has supported our Action Plan (and is today helping Alan and Omega at the Dance Centre).
- Carolyn (Clifton Workshop) – will do posters for free.
- Mike Lawlor was getting furniture for the meeting room – this has not arrived.
- Our website is now live and we are very proud of it – thanks to Rajitha for her help.
Specific Focus of Meeting
- Celebrating our achievements to date
- Searching for a permanent meeting space for the wider community
- Planning the Festive Craft Workshops that Jenny will lead for us;
- Monday 30th Nov 2015 10.30-12.30
- Monday 7th December 2015 (10.30-12.30)
- Coasters, cufflinks, origami, using broken parts of watches etc.
- Sally reminded us that it is important to tell the people we meet about the Neighbourhood
Jenny to forward an image that we can use on website and poster. Partnership and how it impacts on the way changes are made in the community.
- How we promote ourselves
- How are we seen from outside?
- We should be on Twitter.
Questions and Answers
- We talked about the Dance Centre and realise it is far too big a venture (and responsibility) for us to take on as a partner organisation. Ideally a Consortium could move the project forward.
Things We Can Celebrate
- Judy presented a long list of things we have achieved since the beginning of September.
- We have the makings of a local newspaper article.
Opportunities for Future Events
- Approach Salt Café to see if they would be willing to host a Festive Market
- Salt café have a 20% discount for those of us retired and / or over 60. This is 20% between 2.00-4.00 pm week days only. So see you there !
Opportunities for Volunteering
- We aim to increase our Core Team to six members
- We need a Treasurer – do you know someone who might be interested in this role? Please let us know.
Opportunities for Training
- Voscur provides ongoing training at a small cost
Working Towards a Community Centre
- Judy has a list of local organisations who we should approach and invite to a joint meeting with A2Dominion regarding the vacant retail space under Canons Gate on Anchor Road.
- Sally to contact Kurt James with regard to this idea. Action Sally
- Francis reinforced the fact that we are “acting for the good of the community”
- The space needs to be neutral.
- Brandon House survey – only four replies
- St George’s (local) Primary School – may become available
- What local pubs have rooms to hire? We have an incomplete list…
- Our discussion emphasizes that we want the end product
- Partnership – Collaboration – Cooperation – key points from meeting Judy attended.
The Space we have now – Issues
- We are using St Peter’s House for the Tai Chi on 5th November 2015
- St Peter’s House does not offer somewhere to “chill out” throughout the day
- Another history talk would draw a crowd – Action ***
The Space we have now – Refurbishment
- With the new curtains and the additional tables the room is greatly improved.
- Singing on Brandon Hill – fortnightly (14th and 28th November 2015)
- The idea of an indoor Festive Market (table top sale).
- Good news ! We have a further grant from our Neighbourhood Partnership of £2,500 towards four community noticeboards.
- Currently Hotwells and Clifton Wood Community Association are holding our funds.
- Bank account – application in progress
- Tai Chi at St Peter’s House, Jacobs Wells Road, BS8 1DZ
Thursday 5th November 2015 (14:00-15:00)
No need to book
- Singing on Brandon Hill (Former Bowling Green)
Saturday 14th November 2015 (10:00-11:00)
Saturday 28th November 2015 (10:00-11:00)
- Festive Craft Workshops (full details to be confirmed)
Monday 30th November 2015 (10:30-12:30)
Monday 7th December 2015 (10:30-12:30)
Monday 7th December 2015 (7.0-8.30) Cabot Forum (Neighbourhood partnership) St James Priory . Whitson Street BS1 3NZ. By Bus Station.
Monday 11th January 2016 (7.15-9.0) JW Community Hub Meeting. (7.15-9.0) St Peters House
Hub Contact details:
Facebook: Jacobs Wells Community Hub